Monday, June 20, 2011

A quick post to show a video!

Hurrah! A new video! Groundwork has started for weapon types that don't actually fire bullets, as well as animated weapons. The vid shows off the RockSaw a new WIP weapon which will be able to dig through, you guessed it, rocks (It also shows the other weapons off too).

Thursday, June 9, 2011

It's starting to look like a game!

It's been quiet in here lately, and for a few reasons. I've been hooked pretty hard by Terraria lately. It's a remarkably entertaining little gem, and impressively, is an XNA title. But I've also been coding.

For one, I started porting Alpha Blasters over to XNA 4. Most of the immediate compile errors have been cleaned up, but the storage framework seems to have changed completely, requiring a rewrite of the save system. Another time perhaps.

I've also been working on the current project (Which I've codenamed "project 0" for no good reason). I've gotten some art from the artist, and it's looking swell. Have a handful of new dirt tiles to use, so I built the framework to build the terrain by randomly placing them, works and looks great =D. I've also gotten the first pass and basic game state management wired up with some help from the XNA samples over at the App Hub. I also finally got around to wiring up XACT. I have a few songs for use, and some first pass SFX as well. The game mode system is more or less setup, and kills/deaths/respawn has been implemented.

There's still a lot more code to write, and a lot more assets to be built, but it is starting to take a basic shape. I'll be putting together a video soon but, for now, here's a screenshot:

P.S: This also still works flawlessly on Xbox 360 (Better even, as player 1 & 2 can both play).

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Progress update!

It's been sorta quiet around here lately. I wish I could say it's just because I've been busy coding, but I can't as it's only about half true (see, I found League of Legends and it's quite the distraction). BUT! There has been some heavy code work done and things are moving along quite nicely.

I've started, and progressed a good ways toward, building a GameManager to handle all of the Specific game rules (e.g. time limits, kill limits, how many players etc...) as well as handle drawing the game and it's UI objects. It's mostly functioning at its basest level but there's still plenty left to do. Bullets now collide (and do damage to) other entities (not just dirt). There's a rough lifebar and rougher still UI block. The zooming camera has been fine tuned and now works brilliantly. There's also been some heavy code re-factoring (basically pulling out a bunch of junk placeholder code and replacing it with more functioning stuff where it actually needs to go).

More updates to come as I have them. For now, I leave you with a new ScreenShot!