Monday, July 15, 2013

And Now, Bosses!

I really need to update this thing more frequently... XD

Today's update brings news of Bosses to CQX! Although heavily distracted by Skyrim the last week or so, I've been able to make some fairly significant progress. To start, I re-factored the collision detection system to be a bit more robust (or a lot, really). I've also gotten the Boss logic mostly implemented. Bosses will now spawn on the X9 waves like they're supposed to, and the Spider has had all his behaviours properly implemented!

Video after the jump!

The video above shows this off, along with the fancy new sprite for the Bard! Moving forwward I'm going to attempt to make a blog post at least weekly talking about updates or improvements, maybe showing off a video or a screenshot, and occasionally, even dropping a build to play around with! Sadly, no build this week as the new collision system has some ugly bugs I need to work out.

One last note before I end this, We've been trying to come up with a new title for the game. We've had a few ideas, but the one we've landed on so far is:

Any comments or thoughts on anything are appreciated!


  1. It's so cool seeing it with these graphics. Spider looks awesome :D

    1. I'm glad you like it! Means a lot from you.

  2. ...Also, I'm interested in the improvements you made to the collision detection system. At the heart of my system has always been this line:
    if( Math.abs(m1.x+m1.width /2 - (m2.x+m2.width /2)) < (m1.width +m2.width )/2){
    if(Math.abs(m1.y+m1.height/2 - (m2.y+m2.height/2)) < (m1.height+m2.height)/2){

    If you have a better way, I'm all ears.

    1. My collision detection code is quite a bit more involved. I'd be happy to go over it with you, but I mean, if what you have works to your needs I wouldn't mess with it XD. The enhancements I made here were mostly some abstractions and code reductions that allowed for some things to collide that couldn't before (like monsters with monsters)